Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

87 Jeep wrangler Fuel gauge pegs to full when key is turned.

Customer Question

87 Jeep wrangler
Fuel gauge pegs to full when key is turned . disconnected sender connector near tank and guage still goes to full. Measured 78 ohms resistance at this connector between middle yelllow wire and black wire.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

What does it do if you ground the tan wire at the sender?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plug the connector together and jump the tan to the black wire?
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.

You should actually try to use a test light with it unplugged, (tan to ground, through the test light) if possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When the sender is disconnected and I jump tan to black the gas gauge needle moves slightly but doesn't go past E. When I remove the jumper it pegs the needle
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.

I see, thanks. Do you know if the black wire is a good ground? Does it go down to the E mark when jumped?

Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like it could very well be the sending unit, however there is a test for that to be sure.

.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.