Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

The od light and the transmission temp light just started

Customer Question

The od light and the transmission temp light just started going on and off in my 2002 jeep grand cherokee
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i heard the service bell for the first time yesterday shortly after start up. today again but noticed both lights flick on and off. then it continued i felt a slight drag of the tranny
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing other than checking the fluid. trying to figure if it's a sensor or tranny itself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: no, i have never had any issue with the tranny at all thus far
JA: Our top Jeep Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Jeep Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Jeep Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. This sounds like either a wiring harness problem between the transmission and the TCM ( transmission computer ) or the solenoid pack in the transmission. Has the check engine light on while driving?Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No just the od flashes on and off as does the transmission temp overheat . It only happens occasionally and not every time the truck is driven . I did turn the key to check for code and p0713 came up which is the tranny temp sensor
Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.
Ok, then it is most likely the temp sensor which is in the solenoid pack. Check the wiring closely around the transmission. If you see no issues, then go with the solenoid pack. If you wish, I can send you the procedures for replacing it.Chris