sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7. Had an electrical short

Customer Question

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7. Had an electrical short behind passenger headlight caused sparks and smoke. Removed battery terminal connectors as quick as possible. Repaired short and blown fuses, reattached battery and headlights and horn came on without doors open or key in ignition and there was a buzz like a small pump running by the brake master cylinder or HCU unit. You can feel the vibration on it. Tried to start the vehicle and when inserted the key the windshield wipers went on even though they were off and the starter would spin up but not engage. Removed battery connections for 15 minutes to reset and tried again and did the same thing. I am stumped and looking for suggestions to troubleshoot and fix. Never had anything like this.
Thanks!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see if any codes are coming up with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the car not being driveable I have not taken it in to be checked. Trying to go through without towing it to my mechanic first as I usually do most of my own repairs. Basically no I have not checked the codes.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me what color wires shorted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a green wire that runs to the fuse box that is wrapped in the cluster coming from the battery area. That is the only wire that was damaged and it was only a small area of it so I put new shrink wrap on it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

was this a wire that fed the passenger head light itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It had nothing to do with the headlight but rubbed up against the area behind it. This came out of the thick black wrapped mass of wires by the battery and goes up to the fuse box in the engine compartment on the passenger side.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately this is a difficult one for me to diagnose myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Based on the symptoms it appears the BCM has failed and if the ABS pump is running on it's own then the ABS module has failed.

What fuses did you find blown? Have they blown again?