Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Have 2001 grand jeep. Low miles 55 t needs new engine form

Customer Question

Have 2001 grand jeep. Low miles 55 t needs new engine form over heating after servies radiator cap not put on tight. So less then 10 miles over heats! Took into colo engine been in business 40 years they redid tune up change all fluids ect .. Used some new supper oil ect... However still has lower engine noise. Therefor needs new engine? What?... Are there any test that can be done that proves this to be true? Or is it this noise means this! Fix (new engine which is petty much the car!). Or trade it in? For somethings new? But what?
I died in a foriiegn made car back in 79. So it needs 4star safety and needs to be 4x4made in america. The jeep is in excellent shape tires less 6 mos old windshield also fairly new
Leather interior excellent. Transmission serived per warranty. But 2001 is old right so good money after bad? Ick Ick! Thanks for letting me vent but what is your opinion? Is it too light weight to put a plow on it? Fix or not ? Use to plow in winter? Oh what should I do...
A new car is affordable. But why buy new ? But way fix engine? What is your opinion?
Sorry for the venting! I am a cancer survivor x2 ! I need a car 4x4 that will get me there when I need to be there! May choices are... New engine, drive it until until lower noise stops thus engine dead! Or buy new something.... Turn it into plow. car.... Ick Ick
What do you think?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

In my professional opinion the only way to determine an engines integrity is to have the engines oil analyzed. An engine oil analysis will tell the complete story of all of the internal engine problems by the metal and liquid contaminates that are washed into the oil pan by the engines oil. Fairly simple to do. With an Engine Oil Analysis Kit take a sample and send it to the lab for analysis. The laboratory will basically burn the oil in a spectrometer and measure the amounts metals, silicons, liquids, plastics...I had one of these machines several years ago, wish I still had one.

We used a 92 Cherokee as a shop truck for years to push and pull anything in and around the shop when the Jeep wasn't heavy enough a half dozen blocks in the back took care of the weight problem. The Cherokee had the 4.0 HO, much better than any of the V8's offered by Jeep and the complete Chrysler division, in my opinion. My truck is an 88 4x4 F250 5.8 Super Duty. I've had better luck with Ford trucks in my life than any other vehicle I've owned, well except for my little Buick, but it's just a grocery getter. Most all dealerships will offer a decent trade value for your Jeep, if not, like you say turn it into a plow truck with blocks in the back. For domestic trucks I'd go with Ford, they offer the most in heavy duty applications with the best creature comforts. Again with the engine oil analysis take samples of the liquids and have them checked before you buy, for used vehicles. Oil analysis's can be uses for all of the oils from the vehicle.

Don't worry about venting, you should hear me cut loose at times.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated. Click the Accept button for positive ratings.
Thanks.