sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2008 jeep wrangler Sahara unlimited. I have a

Customer Question

I have a 2008 jeep wrangler Sahara unlimited. I have a troubled code p1790 and noticed that the vehicle doesn't engage into second gear when it should.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When driving on the high way in 3rd or 4th gear and then when I accelerate it just stays in 3rd most of the time. Seems to not want to switch to second when it's suppose to. Then I get this p1790 code , second great ratio problem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm just getting started. I disconnected the battery and reset the vehicle about two weeks ago and the code reappeared
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chrysler Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Chrysler Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Chrysler Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Chrysler Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1790 is 'fault after shift' and essentially sets when there is a gear ratio error directly after a shift is commanded. This can be a speed sensor issue or a clutch slipping. When this codes sets then you'll be in limp in for the remainder of the key cycle.

This code almost never sets alone. Outside of the P0700 are there any other codes setting?

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?