Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 02 Jeep Lib 3.7 4WD w 137,000 m. Has a small

Customer Question

I have a 02 Jeep Lib 3.7 4WD w 137,000 m. Has a small exhaust leak up by the engine on drivers side, but its hard to see exactly where. After filling gas tank, drove 2 miles to self car wash & turned engine off while waiting, when I restarted, it started coughing & "bucking" really bad. The exhaust leak seemed 10x louder. Nursed it home, stalling at every light unless I put it in neutral & kept it revving. I changed the fuel filter, but no help. Now when I start it a huge cloud of white smoke pours out. Stops after a few minutes to a smaller amt w/ a lil blue mixed in. I think the head gasket may be letting antifreeze in the oil. I'm wondering if the cost of this repair is worth it, or should i replace engine w a used engine w lower mileage. The body is in good condition, i like the vehicle, replaced the coils and shocks, radiator, etc. This job is beyond me & I'm wondering what the repair vs replacement will cost. Should I junk it? Money is really tight, pretty broke actually. What would you do? Thanks alot, Chalie V
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Like I said in the question, this repair is beyond me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: It was running pretty good, this was very sudden. The engine codes said "electrical fault in no. 6 cylinder" & gas/air mix running rich.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Based on what you are telling me it sounds like you have a stuck open fuel injector on # ***** cylinder. I have seen this before. I am not ready to condemn the engine yet. You may just need to have the injector checked and replaced if needed, and maybe fix the exhaust leak. Oh and the oil should be changed because if the injector is dumping fuel into the # ***** cylinder, then the oil is diluted and needs to be replaced. The fact that the problem came on quick makes me think it is not a major engine issue. The other thing it could be is a rocker arm on one of the cylinders popped off and needs to be replaced. I say spend 1 hours worth of labor at a shop you trust to have them properly diagnose this. You may be able to get that engine fixed for under $500.00 or so. That is what I would do.

I hope this information helps, and if so please take a minute to rate my service.

I will still be here for you even after you rate.

Thank you!

Chris