Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 6v, 3.7. Radiator fan is not

Customer Question

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 6v, 3.7. Radiator fan is not working. car overheats on idle. AC also is not working. I have tried the following so far. Fan works when wired directly to battery. Fan fuse checked is ok. coolant temperature sensor replaced, fan relay switch was also replaced. still fan is not engaging even after temperature goes very high. I also have engine code P1491, which is always there. I removed negative battery cable for about 10 minutes then reconnected it, and started the car, and still the check engine light is on.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

Hello, P1491 indicates there is a problem in the cooling fan relay circuit. To check it you'll need a volt meter and to follow the steps below. LEt me know if I can help further.

Tests and wiring diagram at links below

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Follow ups concerning this are free even after you rate or accept.Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What device should I have to use for this test? can I get some more simple direction to be able to do. How to tell which wire is which? I am not a mechanic, I am just trying to fix my car myself without spending to much.

You'll need a volt meter that reads volts and ohms, something like this. Once you get the meter let me know and I can walk you through checking everything.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now, I have a voltmeter to use. I will try to reach you sometime tomorrow.

Unfortunately I will be away tomorrow. I'm going to open this back up and another expert will come on to assist you. I apologize for any wait you may experience.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The previous tech that was helping you.
  2. They have opted out.
  3. I believe I can help if you still are needing help.