Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 Galant ES 2.4l. I 't hear a click from the fuel pump

Customer Question

2003 Galant ES 2.4l. I don't hear a click from the fuel pump when key is in the on position. I've cleaned the MAF, IAC and throttle body. I went through the process of letting the ECU reset the idle while in Park. Put in Drive and idle maintained at 700 rpm. Turned on A/C and idle went to 600 rpm. Turned of A/C and engine shut off. Restarted and idle went to 700 rpm. Revved motor, let off the gas and engine shut off. In the last test drive, When I pressed the accelerator to get to passing speed, it would not accelerate, but did nothing. The car would no longer idle, and shut off when stopped at am intersection. Got any ideas?
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: You must be talking to someone else. That's not my problem.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: The battery is new. I just replaced the plugs.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are there any fault codes setting with this issue here or have fault codes been checked at all for this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Haven't checked the codes. I would have to take it in to do that. I checked the fuel pump fuse; it's OK. I listened to hear the fuel pump relay, and heard a click. I listened to see if I could hear the fuel pump make a noise' but heard nothing. I'm going to rent a pressure gauge as a final check; but it looks like it is the fuel pump. When a load is put on the engine and the accelerator is pressed, the engine shuts down.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Is the engine starting up and running though when you do not hear the pump run?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the ecu sets the idle' but when I put the A/C load on the engine, the idle goes to 600 rpm; and when I press the accelerator, the engine dies.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

O.k.,I would test the fuel pressure.This may be a low fuel pressure issue due to a weak fuel pump.I have seen weak fuel pumps cause low pressure and can cause a stall out like this here.You should have 38 psi of pressure at idle and it should raise somewhat when you hit the accelerator.If it is lower then this or drops in pressure at any time when running this usually can indicate a pump fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete