Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I bought a 2013 jeep grand cherokee which was involved in an

Customer Question

i bought a 2013 jeep grand cherokee which was involved in an accident. it lights everything but when l start it shows damage key
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

does the car start and run OK?

if so does its drive OK with no hesitation or lack of power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car does not start thats the reason l am asking
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

in that case its probably not recognizing the key or if the airbags have discharged its possibly immobilised via the crash /airbag module

1st thing to try is replacing the battery in the key fob and if that doesn't help then do a reset by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

and if that doesn't work then sorry to say that you will need a dealer level diagnostic tool to plug into the car to reset the airbag and possibly the security module

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you