Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My only car key got wet and now my car starts seconds with

Customer Question

My only car key got wet and now my car starts for 2 seconds with the sentry key light blinking and then shuts off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee. The key was exposed to ocean water. the battery was replaced but the car will not stay on. this is my only key.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Jeep Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changing the battery. Taking out the board.
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Jeep Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

Ok, in most likelyhood the key was damaged by the salt water and will need to be replaced, but before going that route, we need to do a reset of the SKIM system. In the fuse box near the battery is the IOD fuse, located at fuse #15 cavity. It is a 50 amp fuse(see attachment for location)

With key in the ignition in OFF position, remove the fuse for 60 seconds. Then reinstall fuse and try to crank. If it does, then good to go. If not, then the key electronics has been damaged by the salt water and will need to be replaced and new one programmed

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?