sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Getting 2 error codes p0740 and p0837, 2003 Liberty sport

Customer Question

getting 2 error codes p0740 and p0837
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2003 Liberty sport 3.7 automatic. The only thing we notice when driving the vehicle is an occasional noise at the passenger front wheel when making right turns.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, will be taking it to a local mechanic. Just want to be able to talk to him, and also have a better idea of how much this is going to cost. Money is an issue.
JA: OK! The Jeep Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep? I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: It is my son's vehicle. That is all the information I know of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are a couple different issues going on.

P0740 sets when the torque converter clutch is commanded on and it either doesn't engage at all or slips excessively. This could be fluid degradation or incorrect fluid, or a failure of the converter itself. If the fluid is in poor condition, is incorrect or there is an additive in it then you can try having it flushed and see if that helps, but odds are the torque converter has failed.

P0837 is for the transfer case position switch and could be a wiring or connection issue, but is most likely the switch itself.