Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

None of the controls on the steering column are working. No

Customer Question

None of the controls on the steering column are working. No turn signals, wipers or headlight controls and no dash lights or interior lights
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I start the vehicle, the dash lights up like normal but I have no control over the dash lights. The turn signals stop working, I have no control over the headlight settings. No wiper controls. Basically anything that is controlled on the steering column has gone dead. I do have dim dash lights and it seems that everything on the main console works.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can find the problem without a lot of replacing parts that aren't the problem.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the fuses and all that are relevant seem to be intact.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: I was at the dealer a couple weeks ago and they said I have several Flashes that need to be done to the computer.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been wired in at all before this issue occurred here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, nothing. It has the factory tow package and it is all original equipment.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Is the radio operating properly still?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me the year and model as well as engine size for this model here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2008 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 hemi
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,what fails and causes this issue here is the Front control module (FCM),This powers and controls the components you have listed here that are not working and is a common component to fail for this issue here.Below is a picture of this control module.It is attached to the fuse panel/integrated power module under hood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2q0q3kwsm25pdd/fcm-03-01.gif?dl=0

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. 2. Remove the Integrated Power Module (IPM) from the engine compartment 3. Remove the four fasteners (2) securing the Front Control Module (FCM) (1) to the IPM (3). 4. Separate the FCM from the IPM by pulling the two straight away from each other to disengage the electrical connector.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete, One issue I have with your service is its value. The thing about going right to the FCM being the problem and not having any other diagnostics in between had me almost going directly to the dealer. When in fact, I found a couple other (free) suggestions to diagnose the issue. Such as disconnecting the battery for a while to reset everything to see if it solved the problem and it did. I also read that it could be temporary but at this point, it has solved the problem and it has maintained a fully working status for the last couple of days. Which makes me feel like I spent $25 for nothing.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

The battery reset most likely reset the electronics in the FCM.If the issue occurs again though then it will need diagnosed to make sure the FCM is the fault here before replacing it.There is some testing info on how to test this here to be sure which will require a multi meter to test with.If you want this info let me know.

Thanks Pete