Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Burning rubber smell, other than burning rubber smell ,poor

Customer Question

burning rubber smell
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: other than burning rubber smell ,poor gas mileage.the car is a 2003 jeep liberty limeted
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Jeep Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: mileage is 206000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Several things can cause a burning rubber smell. A plastic bag that became caught on the exhaust pipe and melted can cause this, an oil leak dripping on the exhaust manifold (leaky valve cover) can cause a smell. Should be fairly easy to find. Have a shop or dealer you trust perform a good visual inspection in the engine compartment and under the vehicle for any oil leaks. Have the exhaust system inspected when the Jeep is up on the hoist. If there is evidence of a melted plastic bag on the exhaust system, then the technician can use a wire wheel to remove it.

I hope this information helps, and if so please take a minute to rate my service!

Thank you.

Chris