tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, Mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs
14541291

1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l fuel pressure issue.

Customer Question

Category: Jeep
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

fuel pressure issue??please explain

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Parts that I have changed. Plugs, Plug Wires, Rotor, Cap, Coil, Fuel Pressure Regulator, TPS, IAC, Fuel Pump and inner tank sock filter, Fuel Filter, Fuel Injectors. I cleaned tank spotless before installing new fuel pump. Checked all vacuum lines and their routing. No blown fuses. PROBLEM: Looses fuel pressure under load and dies. I have a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail. At idle with vacuum line to fuel regulator (30-31psi) without vacuum connected (39-40psi). If I crank motor it will idle all day long and I can rev it up with no issues. I get about 20 feet in gear and it starts sputtering, while this was occurring, I saw the gauge drop to 0-10 psi, then pick back up erratically under it levels back out. All parts replaced within the last week, One part at a time to try to determine the culprit.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I turn the key without starting, the pressure gauge shows 40psi and takes about 20 minutes before it bleeds down to about 15psi

ok

the regulated pressure should never drop below 39psi

Fuel Pressure Key On, engine running ........................................ 214 kPa (31 psi) Regualtor vacuum hose disconnected .................... 269-283 kPa (39-41 psi)

i would think your new pump is bad,,if the fuel line isnt kinked somewhere,,i would think it is the pump

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Some people have told me it could be a grounding issue.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The jeep is doing the same thing as before I replaced the first part.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The bleed down time is with the ignition off.

that could be possibleif the pump isnt running correctly..but,doesnt seem likley from the way you exlpain

i will give you a wire diagram so you can run a stand allone ground ground to the pump to give it a try before replacing it again

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82m4vmz9325eyyv/0226-jeep-NOTE.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/82m4vmz9325eyyv/0226-jeep-NOTE.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
With the engine in park, i rev the heck out of the engine, what is the lowest reading that the fuel pressure should read?

no less than 31 psi ever

anything less than 31psi at anytime there is a problem with the fuel pressure