George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

My T176 Tranny's shifter came out. I have removed the

Customer Question

My T176 Tranny's shifter came out. I have removed the shifter. The vehicle is in reverse. I need guidance on placing the tranny in neutral using a long screwdriver.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You see the "U" shaped notches that the tip of the shifter will use to select the gears? Use the screwdriver to slide the shift rails one at a time so they all line up. That will be the neutral position and where the shifter should be installed.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I only see one u shaped notch. I know that's one of the forks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is what I'm looking at

And if you slide the rail next to that does it move?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just a tiny bit and pops back into the original position immediately

You will need to pull/push harder on it. The shifter has a lot of leverage as it piviots on the two trunions you see at the top of the opening so you need to find a way to get the screwdriver to push/pull the rail with the same force.

The rails have lockout pins between them so you should only have one that is moved at a time. These have small springs to keep pressure on the pins.

You are on flat ground and nothing is binding on the transmission? Can you put the transfer case in neutral?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was lucky enough to have not left my neighborhood when my shifter came loose, on the way to get a muffler. I was able to get it in reverse and backed it into my flat driveway.T-Case was able to go in neutral

Click here for diagram

That is the shift control on your transmission, see the three shift rails, poppet balls and springs? Those are what you are lining up

I am unable to speak on the phone, can we continue here?

Were you able to get the shift rails to move?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the shift rail the middle piece in my picture next to the gold fork? I found a spring loaded pin as well that pushes towards the driver's side of the tranny.

Yes it is, there are three of them and they move about 1 inch forward and back.

Was the pin loose or is it the lockout pin that is shown in the diagram I linked yesterday?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is the lockout pin. It is tight. I'm guessing this prevents you from putting it in reverse by accident while driving. Since it's stuck in reverse I need to pull back on the rail. I can't seem to find the other two

Yes, that is its function, you can remove the shift housing if necessary but you should be able to work the rails the same as the tip of the shift lever does using the screwdriver.

Any chance that it was more than the lever coming out? Could there be a broken part inside the linkage?

Was there trouble shifting before the lever came off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not likely. I had just replaced the clutch pilot bearing and had flywheel turned. Everything worked fine for a few days following. After the shift lever came out I found out the piece with the two ears holding the lever on the two top pins was bent so I bought a new one

So you pulled the lever to remove the trans and then reinstalled it after doing the clutch then it worked for a couple of days then came out?

I doubt there is anything wrong with how the rails move then you just have to get the reverse rail to the neutral position and then you can shift the others so they line up. If the reverse fork will not move the reverse gear as the rail moves then it will not slide at all. Look at the diagram and see how the fork has to fit in the synchro (the curved part) if that slipped out or broke then you will need to pull the shift housing off the trans and see what is keeping the rails from moving.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I popped the top off gently. Where do these forks need to go for neutral?

Line up the U areas so the shifter can move from on to the other rod. If you haven't pulled the forks out of the shift collars then you need to do that and neutral the collars and then with the shift rails in the neutral position the forks should drop right into the shift collars on the synchros.

You have to use a screwdriver on the collars to move them all to the middle postion and then line up the "U"s so the lever can select the correct rail.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Make sure you can only move one rod at a time. The balls and springs should lock movement on other rods once you slide any of the rods out of the neutral position.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got the tranny top back into neutral and weaved it back into place. Now my engine will not turn over. Is there something I'm missing?

Is it that you don't have an electrical connection to the starter when you turn the key or it won't start when it is turned by the starter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The radio works but when I turn the key all the way to start the engine I can see the fan jump for a split second and it stops

OK, then you have to check at the starter to see if you have 12 volts at the small wire when you turn the key to the start position.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It started up yesterday. I must have bumped a wire or something while underneath the jeep working on it

OK, check the small wire at the starter for 12 volts when you turn the key to the start position.

The clutch pedal needs to be on the floor or bypass the clutch switch to check at the starter. Be sure you are in neutral when checking these.

Thanks