Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

1999 jeep Cherokee blinkers just stopped working. Fuse

Customer Question

1999 jeep Cherokee blinkers just stopped working. Fuse checked ok. flashers work, and per my Chilton manual, it appears other functions on relay under steering wheel all work. Why would replacing this relay fix the problem? Willing to replace this unit, but makes no sense to do so or so it seems. If you recommend doing so, do I need to disconnect battery so can't accidentally trigger air bag?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Jeep Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible. I am pretty good, but not an electrician by any means.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuse, and verified everything else on this combination relay located under kick panel by steering wheel works properly. flashers work, and all bulbs work in lights. washers, etc, (on this same relay work)
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: not that I know of, other than for years now, (so should be unrelated), electric windows can only be operated by driver, other 3 door window switches don't work, but this is unchanged from sudden inoperable blinkers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

Hello, There is a relay located under the diagnostics plug, this link is showing from backside, this combination relay/flasher controls ONLY flashers and turns, Yes,, 100% it can fail and only allow flashers and turns could quit, One need to change the combination flasher, You will not affect airbags or anything else, Yes, may want to unhook NEG battery terminal to be safe, I lean to the combo flasher unit. This condition has nothing to do with windows or any other items other than hazrad or turns, Should this not correct? then the multifunction switch could be bad, This is all provided the fuses are in fact checked and good, Here is a link to the combo unit

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will go to auto parts store and buy combo flasher unit and try. Odd that i talked to parts guy at major jeep dealership and he told me this could not be problem if flashers worked and other functions on multi switch all worked. I have replaced flasher units on gm products which were more conveniently licated under hood with other relays..

I FULLY understand BUT,, this combo unit is really not a flasher persay, It is a micro computer, It receives signals form the different switches then causes the flahsing, It CAN go bad internally and ONLY affect the turns, I promise, This is not like older years or GM/Ford with 3 terminal flasher, It is a bit more complex than that, I know this is technical but open this link, Even look at the picture, You will see 2 different circuits, one for hazards, one for turns, By no means saying 100% this isw the problem, saying I feel 95% it is, otherwise yes, the multifunction switch could be bad