roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

I had a Drained (new Battery), went to charge, heard a

Customer Question

Dave, HI. I had a Drained (new Battery), went to charge , heard a clicking and as it charged The front fan started to turn, Which killed battery. Disconnected Neg. Could this be the fan relay. Just got the POS out of the shop. No error codes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: As the battery started charging you could visually see the fan turn. Had a good enough charge to start, it turned over yet would not start. A reall good deal has turned into (SO FAR) a $ 3000.00 Nightmare. Only 105.000 miles
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  roybelding replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what year and model???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 by 4

ok, thanks disconnect the battery cables while charging the battery. low voltage from the dead battery can cause the issue with the fans, low voltage does all kinds of crazy things. see what happens after the battery is charged

why was it in the shop and why

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did That, The Battery is being drained !

ok, how long does it take to drain??? what have you done to try to find the drain???

and what was the work done at the shop???

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am conversing with a computer. You see, I am a 100% disabled veteran and am 59 years old. If you are a human I will tell you When I was 19, worked on The SPS-49 Radar System. So tell me, is it the small fan relay Near the small fan or the in line small Relay.

you are talking to a human male with 50 years in the field and retired. my father was in WW2 aboard BB57 USS South Dakota. I am a real person

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Roy, My Father was a WW2 Navy Pilot. He is 90 and still doing well, Just bought a pontoon for fishing, That will make it easy for both of us, as he comes up and spends summers with me. I pulled the relays in the fan chain yet small fan still runs. Could it be the relay they put near the right bumper where only a magician and dirt can get too. I am only here in N. Illinois for my brother who has terminal Cancer, down to only my Camry, Which everybody (THINKS) is theirs. Thanks again Roy.

yes, it definitely could be. did you pull that relay to see if it stopped???

Roy

that is an electronic relay that was a very common failure. I would start there with that

Roy