Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I jumped somebody off 2 weeks ago. Since then my voltage

Customer Question

I jumped somebody off 2 weeks ago. Since then my voltage meter started dropping while driving. I had the battery and alternator checked and they are good. Now my battery won't turn over when somebody is trying to jump me off. I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. How did you have the battery and alternator checked?

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At or rolls and Auto Zone
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Autozone and Oreillys
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be the battery? The alternator is almost new. The battery is 2 years old
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Ok, then if the battery is good, you most likely have a bad / failed battery cable(s) or a possibly a failed starter motor. When you turn on the headlights, are they good and bright? if so, when you turn the key to the start position, do the lights stay bright, get dim, or go off?

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They sometimes get dimmer when I am driving.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The main thing I have noticed is that when I am driving the voltage meter will drop from 14 to about 6 or 7. Then it will go back up to 14 This has happened about 5 times since I jumped the other car.
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

It could be an intermittent problem with the battery or alternator. If they get dimmer when driving, then the brushes in the alternator may be failing.

You may want to consider replacing the alternator eventually

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I put in a new alternator three months ago. I had it checked last week at two places and they said it was good
Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

If you are 100 % sure that it is good, then the problem is a poor connection at the battery or alternator, or the battery itself.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 9 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris