Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia,
Experience:  Lead Automotive Tech at Belle Tire
92135077

My 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi had a tap, tap, tap

Customer Question

My 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi had a tap, tap, tap sound in the engine. I took it in for service and they said it was the catalytic converter which has been replaced twice and unfortunately I still has the tapping sound, plus it is much louder than it was previously. Almost sounds like something is loose or vibrating on the muffler.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 1 year ago.

Sounds can be very hard to figure out via the internet and I'm afraid I don't have a quick go to answer I've run into before. Perhaps one of the other experts here will. But I do have a suggestion you might find helpful if nobody else steps in. You might try calling a few of the local chassis shops in your area and ask if the have a tech with a set of electronic chassis ears. Chassis guys are usually good at finding noises and I would guess that for 1 hour in diagnostic time or less you'll know what the culprit is. I hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like me to opt out and see if the others have anything to say.