bill
bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I this is my 2nd seat on drivers side and it burned a hole

Customer Question

I this is my 2nd seat on drivers side and it burned a hole in the upper part of seat, is there a relay for the seat that would hsve burned
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: its winter time and I like the heated seats, turn on hot is to hot, so go to medium that gets to hot too. now a burn make again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I just got a used seat
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replaced seat work great for a bit
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: just don't know what seat is melting, that's why I thought there was a relay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

you didn't say what kind of jeep you have and what year it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 jeep liberty
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

there are no relays that stick the heated seats were electronically controlled by a module under the seat, (assuming this is a FACTORY install NOT an aftermarket one), the module controlled BOTH heaters the system is controlled by a timer and a temperature sensor, the sensor is inside the seat and part of the heating element, once the element reaches it's high limit the system switches to low then after a predetermined time it shuts off, a burn through is USUALLY caused my a break in the element which causes a localized overheat.

remember the elements are JUST LIKE electric heaters and basically a short which causes the heat so if there Is a break and the resistance changes there will be an overheat in that spot.

our ONLY big problem child was the GRAND CHEROKEE which had several recalls on the elements, that's because they used a carbon plastic element and not a traditional carbon fiber element

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

age is the most common cause of a heating element failure remember these things FLEX a lot as you get in and out of the seat and this flexing can cause them to break, HOWEVER that was the best available in 05

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty for your help was just what i needed
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

thanks please stay warm and have a great weekend

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

and please remember this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service