sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

No bus error code
, my name is -my jeep has been making

Customer Question

no bus error code
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my name is ***** ***** has been making a cranking noise for a few days and i havent been able to take it in to my mechanic. after driving it for 30 min last night in below zero temps i turned it off and went to re-start it 10 min later and the error code "no bus" showed on the temp/odometer gauge spot
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: its a 2007 compass manual transmission
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You'll see the no bus message on the instrument cluster when CAN bus communication isn't happening correctly. There are two separate two-wire communication networks on the vehicle to allow modules to communicate with each other. A failure in a module or short to power or ground in the wiring can prevent or corrupt communication.

Does the engine not start now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was not starting at all. I disconnected the battery and re-connected it. The service engine light came on but the vehicle starts now. I went to the local auto zone to get the light checked and they told me it was a cooling fan sensor and the fuel level sensor that set it off. The service engine check light has now shut off and the it seems to be working. I will be taking it to a mechanic on Monday to have it thoroughly checked out.

The problem would have to be happening for them to be able to diagnose it. Electrical testing would need to be done while the problem was happening, disconnecting the battery would have cleared any fault codes that set during the event so they wouldn't have any historical data to look at either. If they can't duplicate the problem they may not be able to give you anything definitive.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
for the original issue to be corrected it will have to occur again?

Correct, for any testing to be done the problem will have to be happening, unless a wiring issue can be found visually.