Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2013 patriot that wont

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2013 patriot that wont even try to start tried jump starting and that's not helping everything works , lights, stereo, etc...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Drove it to a friends and left it for a few hours and now this
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

What you describe sounds like a problem with the security key. It's possible that the chip in they key has dies and won't transmit the start signal to the security code receiver in the dash.

Do you have a spare key you could try?

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no spare key?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

If it is the security key acting up then there is no way to bypass it. You might be best off calling a locksmith to see if they can come check the transponder (the part in the key) and the transceiver (the part in the dash). You could try changing the battery in the key fob, but it might not work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I fix it
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

A locksmith (a good automotive locksmith) should be able to check communication. If you can't find one, you might have to go to the dealer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if there is no communication?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

They will then determine if the key is faulty or the module in the dash needs replaced. After replacement they will reprogram the security system.

It's very common, but the only way to fix it is with the scan tool that can communicate with the security system.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

If you would like instructions on how to replace the dash module yourself I can send over a diagram, but it will still need to be programmed before it will work.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Here is the procedure for replacing the dash module. Jeep refers to it as a SKREEM/WCM in this diagram.

The most likely cause is a bad key, so I would look into that first.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to see if you needed any additional help. I never received a response from you so I assume you got it sorted out. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.