Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have 2001 Jeep Wrangler and the hazard button won't stay

Customer Question

My name is Will
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 2001 Jeep Wrangler and the hazard button won't stay down in the "off" position The lights work fine, but they are just always flashing unless I wedge something to make the button stay down
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your hazard warning switch on this model is part of the turn signal/multi function switch assembly.It has a plastic tab that catches it to lock it in place then releases when pressed to turn off the lights.This tab can bend or break causing this issue here as I have seen on several models in the past.

The button itself is usually not serviced separately meaning that the entire switch assembly has to be replaced when the switch fails like this.I know on some models the manufacture released the button/switch separately to be replaced but I dont see this as an option on yours here.I would contact a dealer to be sure as they will have the most current up to date parts list for this to see if it is available separately.If it is then the old usually pulls out and the new pushes in to install and lock in place.

If it is not serviced separately the entire turn signal/multi function switch will have to be replaced as an assembly unfortunately.This is the only repair available for this here unless you want to try and remove the complete turn signal switch assembly and take a chance on taking it apart to see if you can repair it but usually this will end up worse then it is now as all the internal contacts for turn signals and other operations can come loose or become damaged in the process.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1voquasn4izx6i/haz-02-11.gif?dl=0

I show a cost for the complete switch assembly of $90 and around 1.2 hours labor to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete