Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Rear window on 96 jeep Cherokee limited won't go up, all

Customer Question

Rear window on 96 jeep Cherokee limited won't go up, all other Windows work, neither sound is heard when hitting the switch have tried holding switch and tapping on motor does not work
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help. Do you have a 12 volt test light or volt meter by chance? Would like to see if the motor is getting any power to it from the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not have one available
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, is it a jeep grand cherokee or just cherokee?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jeep Cherokee limited
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, let me pull the wiring diagram, just a second please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Grand Cherokee
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, there are 2 wires going to the Left Rear Window Motor. Do you have some jumper wires and could possibly get power and ground to those two wires through the connector? I would like to verify the motor itself is good, but we would need to have two small wires to jump power to it. It's either going to be 1 of 3 things, the Drivers window switch, or the rear passenger window switch, or the motor itself most likely.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

The two wires that coming out of the window switch on the passenger rear left door going to the motor are VIOLET (PURPLE) and BROWN. you should be able to jump those two wires after disconnecting the switch and get the motor to go up or down if the motor is good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any way to get the window up with doing all the test? I just need it up before the rain hits I will worry about the est another day
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Put power on the BROWN and GROUND on the VIOLET, (to go one way either up or down) then switch power to VIOLET and ground to BROWN to go the other way up or down.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

You could also possibly swap passenger side door rear door switch, or drivers side rear door switch, they have the same number of wires on each of them and I believe the should swap.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The motor is shot neither the main control will put it up nor will the control on the door
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

I have pulled another car up near the back of the car I'm working on and used jumper cables too, keeps you from running long wires to the cars battery, you can just used some short wires and the jumper cables on another battery then. if you can't hot wire the motor on those wires and get it to go up or down, then the motor has failed,

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Did it just stop in mid travel? and then wouldn't move after that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it went all the way down but wouldn't go back up
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, I follow you. If you can pick up a 12 volt test light , (they are fairly cheap) at any auto parts store, I'd really like to check power and ground to the window motor first before putting a motor in it. In order to get the window up if putting power and ground directly to it doesn't work, you'll have to disconnect the regulator from the window glass, and then put the glass up in the window and i've used wood or some sheet metal screws through the door skin to hold it up in place.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How to disconnect the regulator?
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

The window regulator and the motor are all one unit on that one. looks like this,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay so I got to pull the whole thing out got it
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

If your sure it's the motor, the glass, bolts to that regulator, where the white plastic thing is in the picture. If you can get to the bolts, be hard to with it all the way down, in that case, I would cut the cables, then the glass is just gonna be loose in there, you could put it up in the hole and stake it with wood or sheet metal screws, but be sure it's the motor before cutting any cables. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I thought I would follow up with you, we're you able to get the glass back up in the window frame?