sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2003 jeep liberty which i just put a reground crank

Customer Question

i have a 2003 jeep liberty which i just put a reground crank in and a new oil pump after running for 20 min the oil light comes on shut the engine off and restart it and the light is off for another 20 min i have been a mechanic for 20 years but this has got me stumped
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It would be a good idea to put a gauge on it and see if oil pressure is actually dropping. If pressure stays up the you have a bad sender. You may notice that it's leaking into the connector, if so then it will need to be replaced for sure.

If pressure is actually dropping then you either have an oil pump issue, excessive bearing clearances, or possibly a drainback issue. If there is enough buildup in the engine then oil an drain back slowly enough that it causes a loss of pressure after running, but I don't expect this to be the case.

What besides the crank was replaced?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just the oilpump
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when i put the crank in i naturly put in new bearings and i have already tried putting a mechanic al oil guage on

What is actual oil pressure when the light is on?