Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Been having this issue couple months now. I have a 2000 GC

Customer Question

Been having this issue for a couple months now. I have a 2000 GC Laredo. Only code i have is the dreadful p1687. Started with swapping a cluster with my friends. Same issue. Alternator wasn't charging properly. Replaced alternator. Got my hands on a used working BCM. Replaced that. same issue. i replaced the bcm only because when i turn my wipers on, it turns my headlights on as well. and when i turn the wipers on the airbag light and engine light go out right away and back on when i turn the wipers off... Which grounds should i be looking at? i can really use some help. Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor with over 30 years experience. However, if you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help if you…

… don’t have tools or the skills to use them

… don’t know there will probably be some special tools and equipment needed for a proper diagnosis

… don’t realize it may take a few back and forth replies to solve the issue

… don’t understand that I will need you to provide specific information

This type of diagnosis is handled at the dealership by a Driveabilty tech - usually their top dog - using a DRBIII scan tool. Together, we could diagnose this issue without a DRBIII, but it would entail you using a multimeter and having the skills to use it as well as a solid understanding of Automotive Electricity. Are you up to it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have a multimeter

I'm trying to set the right expectations so you get the best service I can provide - I don't want to waste either yours or my time. Do you know how to use your multimeter? Do you have a solid understanding of Automotive Electricity?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know how to use it

Sorry. I'm afraid I won't be able to work with you. I'll opt out so other experts can chime in. Please don't reply or the system will revert your request back to me.

Best Regards.

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you. So your problem is : 1 Alternator is not charging, and 2 the airbag and check engine lights are on when the wipers are off, but the lights go off when the wipers are on correct?

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alternator is fine now. Just that dreadful p1687 code. Yes that is correct. They come on and off when they please. Whenever I hit the wipers the lights go back out. And back on when the wipers are off
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Ok got it. I want to do some wiring diagram research and see if there may be some ground issues. Can I get back to you tomorrow regarding this?

Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Great! I will be in touch tomorrow!

Have a good evening!

Chris