Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1996 Cherokee, dies when it reaches operating temp, will not

Customer Question

Customer: 1996 Cherokee, dies when it reaches operating temp, will not start back up for some time. I also have the coolant sensor bad message intermittently.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think it still gets gas because I can smell it cant check spark by myself but I am thinking it's triggering the shutdown relay somehow. I was wondering if the shutdown relay can trigger off of the coolant sensor.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for a couple years but is getting bad now. I already replaced the crank or cam sensor, whichever one is up on the transmission. didn't help. Also, sometimes my VIC will come on with the key off, especially if it is raining. My computer is watertight, I removed it and inspected it inside and out. Also, if my battery voltage is low and I try to start, the right rear window will roll down by itself. I think this is all related but cannot figure out where the problem is.
I really don't think I have spark when this is happening, because I can smell gas and it cranks fast like it would with no spark.
I would like to know if a bad coolant or coolant level sensor will shut it down?
I would also like to know if I can bypass the shutdown relay to get home? I don't need help with this, I just want to know what the implications are.
I know a myriad of components can cause this, and my jeep isn't cherry so I don't care about all the bells and whistles-if there is a way to bypass ALL of this crap it would be fine with me! I just want it to be reliable.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! Are you willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might be able to talk to you later to day or tomorrow, got a problem with the cell phone also.
I am not totally helpless, I have experience with electronics, just the schematics I have do not provide the information that I need.
I think my body module is affected, but I suspect I have a wiring issue, or a bad solder has developed on the VIC or ECM board.
I need to know how to troubleshoot the shutdown relay circuit-I believe.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I can definately help out with that. I have wiring diagram for this vehicle as well and I can send them to you if needed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

When it does not start, you need to check for spark and fuel. If there is fuel pressure but no spark, we need to check the computer and ignition system. IF the crank sensor was replaced on the transmission bell housing, then I would suspect a bad computer or a bad cam sensor inside the distributor. However, you would have to run some more checks/tests to ensure that this is in fact what is going on. I can walk you through this over the phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
earlier it ran perfect. lol
I am trying to get it to happen. It's one of them things, now that I want it to happen it won't, but as soon as it does I will check fuel and spark, I will get back to you soon.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.