Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2008 JEEP COMPASS REPLACED STARTER 3 TIMES IN LAST MONTH AND

Customer Question

Customer: 2008 JEEP COMPASS REPLACED STARTER 3 TIMES IN LAST MONTH AND KEEPS BURNING OUT ONE ORIGINAL ONE FROM ADVANCED AND ONE FROM NAPA
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: STRTED OFF AS ORIGINAL STARTER GOING REPLACED WITH ONE FROM ADVANCED LASTED THREE DAYS THEN CUSTOMER HAD CAR TOWED BACK STARTER WENT AGAIN CHECKED POWER GROUND AND SIGNAL ALL FINE SO REPLACED STARTER AGAIN THINKING IT WAS JUST BAD STARTER AND KNOW TWO WEEKS LATER CAR TOWED IN AGAIN
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 10 months ago.

by "burning out" what is actually happening to them?

have you replaced the solenoid "S" terminal common as hell to see them loose causing a poor connection, have you bench tested the replacement starters? to see if they are actually defective

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THEY ARE DEFECTIVE THE CUSTOMER JUST CALLED ME TO SAY THAT SHE WAS DRIVEING ON HIGHWAY AND TRUCK SHUT OFF AND WOULD NOT START SO IM THINKING SOMETHING WITH FUSE BOX
Expert:  bill replied 10 months ago.

I'm thinking the connector on the starter is loose the fuse box (TIPM) will NOT kill a starter remember how simple these are 2 wires a hot battery wire and a signal wire for the solenoid, IF these all bench test defective you are getting crappy quality parts, reman starters are always bad luck in my experience, about the only thing to fail on the starter is the solenoid, what I see commonly is the solenoid wire (yellow or brown) gets loose causing a poor connection, that solenoid draws about 20 amps and must have a good connection.

have YOU PERSONALLY bench tested the starter with a jumper wire DIRECTLY on the starter?

I have also seen a few battery terminals cause a poor connection and not allow enough amps to spin the starter , our starters pull around 100 amps when spinning the engine.

with repeated starter failures I would also do a voltage drop test on the battery and chassis grounds.

honestly starter failures on THIS chassis is NOT common