Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Can i bypass my sentry key immobilizer on 2001 jeep grand

Customer Question

Customer: can i bypass my sentry key immobilizer on 2001 jeep grand cherokee or reset it? starts and runs for 3 seconds
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have two keys two vehicle. drove it to mechanics house for shocks. he called me back in two days and said jeep would not stay running. Went over and tried it myself. Turn key on, engine starts, runs for 2-3 seconds and shuts off. Guages on dash do not work and have a hey symbol with a line through it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jeep Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, in the engine compartment fuse box is the IOD fuse, it is fuse #15(50 amp). Remove it for at least 1 full minute. Then reinstall and crank engine. This resets the SKIM system. See attached for fuse location

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try this tomorrow
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I tried removing the F15 50 amp fuse for one minute and replacing it. I still have the same problem. This did not fix the problem
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Ok, that is the only reset procedure. This means that there is a hard failure in the SKIM - control module, antenna ring or key- and will require diagnostics with a scan tool