Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

My battery is good. Radio is not working. Car gauge

Customer Question

My battery is good. Radio is not working. Car gauge indicates battery voltage is low. Windows working. Horn is beeping okay. If there is a disconnect somewhere, how can I find it.
Thank you,
Oliver
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Is just your radio not working? Have you checked for 12v and ground to the radio?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not just the radio, the car won't start at all. When the hood is open and the battery is connected, the light under the hood is bright and working. When I turn the key to start, the battery gauge needle goes from left all the way to the right and then goes back all the way to the left. The panel display says "check gauge" after. As I said, it can't be the battery but it seems the starter is not getting power at all and the car won't start. I also know that the starter is okay because when it did get power before, it started immediately but died after several minutes and then it won't start after that. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also want to mention that previously when I was checking the car battery because it was poor hooked up, I found the thinner wire in the cable was cleanly cut. I know it was not a natural cause disconnect. I suspect that it was deliberately cut by someone. I stripped the wires and twisted them together to connect and taped it firmly with electrician tape. Should I revisit that connection?
Expert:  Brad replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

Yes I would check and see if the small wire is making good connection.. It would be a good idea to cut off the factory battery terminal and put a universal terminal on. You will need to cut all of them and place them under the clamp and tighten it. This fix is better than twisting the wires...

Let me know what happens,

Brad