Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I've been having an issue with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee it

Customer Question

Hi I've been having an issue with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee it has only happened twice with no check engine but I'll drive the car and it's fine and everything some times when I got start the jeep it's starts then dies after 2 seconds and it will keep doing it and then after an hr or so the car starts like nothing happened ? Any ideas ? I also have the light on the dash with a key and a line threw it!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Hello Eddie here and I will try to help, Does this problem always happen when first starting it? or is it intermittent? Also, do you have a spare key to this vehicle by chance you can try? thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi and it only happened twice in 2 weeks I just bought the car and no I only have one key, just the key though
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Alright, first thing I would do, is drop by a mobile locksmith and get them to make youa duplicate key, you really need one anyway, and that may be the entire problem, if it's still does it then, I would try another transponder that reads the key, that key light with a line through it basically means that the vehicle is shutting down due to a key failure, these keys are coded, and either the key itself is failing, or the transponder that reads the key around the lock cylinder is failing. A locksmith can tell you whats going on after he reads the codes that are stored for the alarm system, and will be able to cut you a new key and/or replace the transponder if needed. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.

Absolutely, let me know if you have any further questions.