Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 4.0 One day out of the blue

Customer Question

I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 4.0 One day out of the blue the truck won't shift out of first gear it never happened before. Don't m
Now if I can do do something or have you seen this same problem before thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help...

You have a 42RE transmission that uses a Governor pressure transducer to read the pressure so the PCM knows when to shift. The most common thing we see is the sensor fail which will cause this.. The sensor and solenoid run around 100.00 each and installation is easy just drop the pan but the bad news is that diagnosing this issue will require a scantool to monitor the governor pressures... Is the check engine light on and if so what codes are setting?

Talk soon,

Brad