eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

I'm servicing a 2002 jeep liberty sister-in-law. It's

Customer Question

Customer: I'm servicing a 2002 jeep liberty for my sister-in-law. It's handling has been erratic which my shop suggested was a worn rear upper control arm. I replaced this piece but understand that there is still something amiss with the handling. Where should I look next?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vehicle suspension didn't want to 'set' when turning in corners and with the back end shifting direction unpredictably. I also found in a short ride after the control arm replacement that it would reach very quickly to directional changes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm OK if the reply provides me with a clear path forward. I don't know this vehicle well and worn / damaged suspension components are always easy to diagnose.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

have you completely checked the front and rear suspension for worn or loose parts?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. I was looking for more specific advise such as what to look for first, how to evaluate for worn or loose parts.
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

they are known for bushing failures in the control arms a lift and a pry bar is generally used, are the recalls up to date?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you advise as to recalls specific to suspension as you suggest in your response?
Expert:  eauto replied 10 months ago.

upper control arms and lower ball joints