Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Jeep Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Have 2000 Jeep Chrokee Laredo - 6 Cyl. Dash warning light

Customer Question

Have 2000 Jeep Chrokee Laredo - 6 Cyl. Dash warning light "CHECK GAGES" activates when engine is at idle and oil pressure gage reads zero. The warning goes away and gage reads 40 lb. when engine is accelerated in neutral or in drive and is maintained at normal highway speeds. Oil & filter changed within 150 mi. engine runs great. Could this me a sensor issue or something more serious ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

As long as there are no unusual engine noises while the Check light is on, this is most commonly due to a faulty Oil Pressure Sensor. These are actually fairly common fail items on these engine. Over time, the internal resistance of the sensor tends to fail, and the sensor has a hard time reading correct oil pressure when there is no load on the engine. When load is applied, oil pressure raises, and the sensor can now read it. The sensor is located on the rear, passenger's side of the engine, above the Starter. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the sensor should solve the problem. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.