Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2004 auto trans shifting down at 70 mpr rpm raps to 4500 let

Customer Question

2004 auto trans shifting down at 70 mpr rpm raps to 4500 let off excelerate ok. may happen 15 minutes later or not again for couple weeks. afraid to drive in winter.
jeep dealer says modual on transmission. very dangerous to fail close can't believe engineered as close failer?? whats your apinion whats going on?? only has 41000 mile on.
most miles behind motor home. I also tow.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. The transmission is going into a limp in mode. That causes it to default to 2nd gear and downshift. This can be caused by the transmission control module or a transmission sensor or solenoid. If the dealer diagnosed it as a bad module, then go ahead and have it replaced. However, ask the dealer to be sure that it is not a sensor or solenoid. Just to be sure.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it was sensor,won't it do it all the time?
Solinoids go bad,they get week or just burn out??
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

It could be a intermittent problem with a sensor or solenoid coil. When the transmission temperature goes up, the coil windings can expand and cause an internal open circuit in the sensor or solenoid coil windings. Does that make sense?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!