eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

My 2003 Jeep Liberty won't start Mechanic first thought it

Customer Question

My 2003 Jeep Liberty won't start
Mechanic first thought it needed oil and then he tried to have a new key made and still won't start
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Regarding Jeep Liberty 2003
This same mechanic gave car complete tune up, new muffler, the works about six months ago
The lights come on like everything is working fine but car will not start. He said it's also not the starter
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

does it turn over?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yea
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

is it getting spark? fuel pressure? injector pluse?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure. They thought it was a key problem so they had JEEP make a new key and I only spoke to the secretary over the phone
I'll talk with mechanic more tomorrow and get back to you....thank you
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.