Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Can I put a 2003 3.7 engine in a 2005 3.7 Jeep Liberty if I

Customer Question

Can I put a 2003 3.7 engine in a 2005 3.7 Jeep Liberty if I swap the computer also
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

NO the computers are totally different the 03 will have 3 rectangular plugs (called a JTEC computer) the 05 will have 4 square plugs(NGC) and is wired totally different, as the trans computer is now a part of the engine computer, the ONLY way for this to work is change the crank and cam tone rings the crank tone ring is part of the crankshaft and has fewer teeth on the 03 than the 05 engine

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

just following up to see if you still need assistance if you need assistance in finding a suitable engine for your swap I can help some but will need the vin of the jeep and your zip code if your all set please remember this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service