Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My name is ***** *****. The problem is that I need to bleed

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. The problem is that I need to bleed the air out cooling system on 2008 Liberty, 3.7 L engine, 4x4
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Replaced water pump and thermostat. Filled with new coolant.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: At some point heating stopped working and overheats from time to time. I noticed that coolant gets low by a quart or less between this occurences. My conclusion is that the system still has air which I need to bleed.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, below is how to bleed it of air the most efficient way

Jack front end up about 8"(air rises to highest point and this ensures the radiator is at the highest point). Fill coolant reservoir to full mark. Crank engine and turn heater to high and let idle for 5 minutes. Now rev engine to 1500 rpms for 1 minute and then let idle come back down. Idle for 3 more minutes.

Stop engine and let cool for a couple of minutes. Check reservoir. If needed, fill to full mark and repeat procedure. Do this until the level stays at full level - usually 2-3 times will do it

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, thank you for your attention.
I tried your method, which helped me before on older domestic cars.
But it did not work on Liberty that much. Total coolant I was able to put was 8 quarts, whereas Liberty shall take 14 quarts.
The air was trapped in the heater CORE and heater core hoses. Air did not escape from that area during cooling off period.
I had to disconnect the hoses and then used a pump to push coolant through the core. After the first time, I drove Liberty, let it cool down, repeat the process again, and now I get rid off the air in the cooling system.
Thank you,
Alex
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,glad you were able to get it, and sorry that my method didnt work