eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

The oil pressure gauge went to 80 and is stuck their and the

Customer Question

the oil pressure gauge went to 80 and is stuck their and the motor seems to be running just fine. the engine light came on different times because I think my gas cap was not tight. but now my engine light is on and the oil pressure gauge is stuck and I just had the oil changed.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I have not. I guess I will have to take it to a dealer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 19300 miles on it and I am scared my motor might blow
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

no need for a dealer The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes
if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks I knew I was in over my head
Expert:  eauto replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you