Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Temple- 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 timing issues
, Bill. I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Temple- 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 timing issues
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello Bill. I have started a business flipping these vehicles. I have done the timing chain 2 times now flipping it 180 degrees and still the Jeep does not run smoothly or idle at all. I have 3 engines that I am working on right now and sent all 3 sets of heads out to get rebuilt. I have all the chains and marks in the correct positions but have 2 questions that may answer my problem. In the manual it says "TDC on the exhaust stroke" is this correct? I have seen in other chats that the Tone Wheel is different on some of the heads. I did not necessarily put the heads that came of the vehicle back ob the same vehicle as I thought they were all the same. Is it possible that these heads have different Tone Wheels? I have 2001's and 2002's.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Below are some diagrams that may help with aligning the timing on this engine here.If this is the same procedure your following for this here let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k5tad2zz5j9kpq/t-01-09.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxpb4oksejjlbyb/ti-01-09.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoxvj2arff40kms/tim-01-09.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It obvious that you did not even read my question. I would like to get a response from an actual Jeep mechanic. I know about all the alignment specs for the timing chain and sprockets as I stated in my question.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize my info didnt help here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete