sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Glenn have 2001 jeep liberty.
, yes car starts, but

Customer Question

Customer: hi glenn have 2001 jeep liberty.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes car starts, but doesn't idle. it stalls battery was dead this morning, so had to jump start it after that, the car won't idle I can drive it with 2 feet, but as soon as I let go of the gas pedal it stalls
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Car is working now. turns out a hose to the throttle body was lose. IS there a refund for this?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The hose you found loose wasn't causing the engine to die. A vacuum leak would actually cause the engine to idle higher than intended.

The root cause of the dying was the dead battery. When battery voltage falls low enough during cranking it will cause the powertrain control module to lose it's memory for the idle air control motor step count, so it thinks the IAC is open further than it is. This causes the engine to idle low or die with the throttle closed until the correct step count can be relearned.