Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2009 jeep wrangler 3.8l. Leaking oil out of front part of

Customer Question

2009 jeep wrangler 3.8l. Leaking oil out of front part of engine while running. Just replaced front seal and now leak is worse than before...
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

an you upload a picture of the leak it will be much easier to help with a picture, use the paperclip icon to upload

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe tomorrow, steady drip right from shaft area, I believe I need to get a harm bal repair sleeve because the crappy cranks wear out at the contact point, 127,000 miles, records show third engine maybe not....or all 3.8l have soft cranks....
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

never in my 25 years with jeep have i seen a 3.8 minivan motor wear the crank or balancer the 4.0 yes but the 3.8 was used in millions of minivans and wranglers there is a sleeve that must be used to prevent the spring in the seal from rolling out when installing the new seal, if you don't use it the seal will leak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've found a few articles on the subject, and most importantly, I believe there is a repair sleeve on it already, which I believe is worn and needs to be replaced....
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

so do you still want assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new seal is screwing with me, now at idle no leak, as if it broke in,,,,, then when we rev the engine the leak starts again..?????
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

if the balancer has a sleeve on it I would replace the balancer, and install a NEW OEM seal preferably using the guide tool to prevent damage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found this..
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

looks like that crank is junk, what was the end play on it, while not common it is very possible the crank is moving around killing the seal, by the way the oil pump is inside that front cover and is driven by the crank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the sleeve off and used an install tool and installed a new seal. So far all looks good no leak. Theory, those that installed repair sleeve did not have simple install tool and could not get seal in without damaging seal.....
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

not a theory I have seen this that's why a timing cover comes without the seal installed now it is EASY to damage