George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler 4 cycl - I had the rear main seal

Customer Question

I have a 92 Jeep Wrangler 4 cycl - I had the rear main seal replaced but mechanic said it will still leak because whoever put prior seal in had nicked the surrounding area . It drips pretty bad . Worse than before. Can it be repaired ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Was it the area where the seal mounts that is damaged or is it the crankshaft seal surface that is the problem?

Do you know if crankshaft thrust was checked? Meaning how far you can move the crankshaft forward and backward?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't really know. They just said the Rear Main Seal. They had to drop transmission and oil pan to get to it ? I want to take to to someone else. Just wondering if its fixable or do I need new engine ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He had mentioned something about a sleeve but said they don't make them for front end seals -- As you can see I am a laymen when it comes to car repairs

The do make a Speedi-Sleeve for the rear but if the crank is walking front to back each time you push the clutch it will not do any good. The main bearings would need replacement.

If the seal recess is nicked then some RTV sealant around the outside of the seal will stop that but I suspect what they were telling you was the crank surface the seal rides on is nicked.

It may be better to look into a replacement engine at car-part.com, that could be less than trying to repair this one.

Please let me know if you have further questions and how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It only leaks when it is running ---- so does that mean the crankshaft is nicked ? Do you think I should have the sealant try or better look for rebuilt engine . I basically only put 300/400 miles a year on it. Mainly use to plow my driveway which is 800 feet long. But the oil dripping is annoying on the black top. ---- just trying to eleviate the dripping to a mimium. I replace the oil as needed. Runs find

If it is running well I would try another shop and explain what you want it to do. There are ways to get it sealed if the crank is not walking that I would not try on a daily driver but would on a plow vehicle. First up would be a check of the crank thrust, That can be done from the front without removing any parts. If it is less than the 15 ten thousandths allowed then I would proceed to remove the trans and evaluate where the leak is really coming from.

If they resealed the oil pan it sounds like they were not really sure or both the oil pan and real seal were leaking. The rear seal can be done without removing the oil pan.

I wouldn't be looking for another engine to run a few hundred miles each year, the cost just doesn't add up.

Give the other shop a shot, you don't want to go to a chain store or a dealer you need an independnet shop to either fix this for you or find out why it can't be repaired.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you