bill
bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7 L VL8 engine.

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7 L VL8 engine. It won't start. It keeps trying to turn over but won't fire up. Check fuel pump relay and it's fine. Can't find inertia switch. I wouldn't think it would be the fuel pump itself. Has right at 60,000 miles. Help anyone?????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

does the jeep turn over or not, we never have or ever needed any type of inertia switch that's a Ford thing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Jeep does try to turn over. It started that the push start would take once or twice to start the jeep. Then we had to use the actual key. Now it tries and tires to turn over but won't kick in
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I still don't get what your saying WILL THE JEEP ACTUALLY CRANK OR NOT, a no crank indicates other problems BUT if it cranks but won't start and keeps cranking that's another thing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks but won't start.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok have you had the R09 recall done? that's to install an external fuel pump relay due to the high failure rate of the internal one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir I have not. I bought the jeep used a year ago. Not sure if that was ever performed
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

do you have the vin handy I can look it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1c4jeat3cc278338
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok give me a second or 2 to look it up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There should be an r after the 41c4rjeat3cc278338
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

all i needed was the last 8 which were correct.

the R09 IS an open recall on that vin and VERY LIKELY why the jeep will not start the recall is free so you should have a minimal charge from the dealer if any, you MAY have to TEMPORARLY foot the bill for a tow BUT if you call customer care (in the back of your owners manual or from the dealer) they SHOULD reimburse you

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

to be honest I have seen hardly anything else cause these jeeps to not start they have been very reliable in that respect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you! I will call the local jeep dealership. What website can I check for any outstanding recalls on this jeep?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

that's the only one right now I am a Chrysler tech so I have full access to all the recalls by vin, your jeep already had all other outstanding recalls performed

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

the dealer MUST by law perform any outstanding recall they have parts for while they have it in their possession

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic! Thank you for all your help! Would be nice if YOU were at my local dealership! Haha
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

even if I were by the rules of the site I couldn't say so but please have a safe and happy 2016 and remember to rate the service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for EVERYTHING! Have a great 2016
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I can say I am NOT in Mississippi I am in Connecticut where I am freezing my butt off