sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I'm ***** *****. I have a 96 grand Cherokee that just

Customer Question

Customer: Hello I'm ***** *****. I have a 96 grand Cherokee that just started with these issue a few weeks ago when the temp dropped to 18 degrees. 1. The interior dome lights stay on even when the engine has been shut off. This now drains my battery over night. 2. my alarm system goes off each night, usually when the temp drops below 18 degrees.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 3. my dash light states my tailgate is open, even though I have made sure both the gate and rear gate window are shut.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: 4. as of yesterday, not only does my dome lights stay on while driving, they have begun to flicker as I drive.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The lights are staying on because of the liftgate ajar issue, which is also why the alarm is going off.

If the liftgate and flipper glass are closed properly and staying closed then you have a bad ajar switch. There is an ajar switch for the glass and one for the liftgate itself. It's possible that you could have a wiring issue but one of the switches has almost surely failed, which wasn't uncommon. I would recommend removing the trim panel and unplugging the ajar switches one at a time to see when the ajar warning stops, and then replace that switch.