Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My jeep will start then die, have a key emblem with a slash

Customer Question

My jeep will start then die, have a key emblem with a slash through it it's been giving me problems of and on for a year
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This is a SKIM key security problem. Do you have more than one key for the Jeep?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They both do the same thing
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, then you have a problem with the SKIM module. It is a module in the steering column. Your dealer can replace it and program it to your keys, or a mobile lock smith can come out and take care of this problem. The keys can be tested at this time. It is possible that you have 2 defective keys, but most likely you have a failed SKIM module and it will need to be replaced.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Now I just thought of something that may be related. If your PCM (engine computer) fails it can cause that key emblem yo illuminate, so before you have the SKIM module replaced, have the PCM checked out by the dealer or a shop you trust.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you!

Chris