sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport 3.7. The engine tunes over

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport 3.7. The engine tunes over but won't start. I changed the fuel pump relay, crank shaft sensor, and the cam shaft sensor, but still no luck
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition. You may have low or no fuel pressure due to a pump or wiring issue, it could be fuel contamination, it could be improper cam timing or an ASD relay circuit issue.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see if any fault codes have set. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are no codes that display

Have you tested fuel pressure?
Have you checked for spark?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have disconnected fuel line no fuel comes out when ignition on

The pump won't run just with the key on. Did you check while cranking the engine or cycling the key?

Do you have spark?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We got fire and no fuel while trying to crank

Has power and ground to the pump been tested?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We haven't dropped the tank to get to the pump yet

If the relay has been swapped, there are no codes setting or fuses blown yet the pump does not run then the next step will be to test for power and ground at the pump. If you're missing power or or ground then there is a wiring issue, if power and ground are present then the pump will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
To check for power and ground I would have to drop the tank?

The early vehicles had an access panel under the carpet but later did not, even though the service information indicates that the panel is there on all of them. If you were to use the access panel you have to drill the rivets out of the tie downs and roll the carpet up, then chisel the body seam sealer away from the access panel and nuts to remove the panel. Even if the panel is actually there it's quicker and easier to just remove the tank.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have voltage on wire at connector that plugs into fuel pump on top of gas tank. Attempting to remove fuel pump any advice?

You'll also want to make sure there is ground to the pump. Odds are there is but you'll want to make sure before replacing the pump.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Which one is the ground pin on the connector

The power wire is dark green/orange, ground is black.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We noticed the fuel line oring is broken. Could this have cause the pump to lose prime? There is no fuel in the line at all. We will try and pump some fuel back in the line to reprime it. Could this have caused the pump to fail?

The quick connect issue happened when it was removed from the nipple.

If the pump doesn't run yet power and ground are present the pump has failed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do I tank the pump out of the tank

If you verified power and ground are present then go ahead and replace the pump.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get the pump out of the tank. I dropped the tank And I dont know how to get the pump out

The lock ring needs to be removed to get the pump out of the tank. A lock ring tool should be used but a brass (non sparking) drift and a hammer can be used to turn the lock ring counterclockwise.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I finally removed the fuel pump. How do I tell if it is not good before I buy another one

You need to test for power and ground at the pump connector as we discussed. If power and ground are present but the pump doesn't run then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I changed the fuel pump and the jeep is now running. I notice that the gas gauge is showing 3quarters of a tank and I know there is less than a quarter tank of gas on it. Did I install it wrong

Either the fuel sender caught on something when the pump was installed or the sender on the replacement pump is bad. The pump is keyed so you shouldn't have been able to get it in the wrong direction so the sender shouldn't be able to hit anything. Try filling the tank and see what it does. I've seen inaccurate senders on new aftermarket pumps straighten up over time.