sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My wife's 2002 Jeep Liberty has a starting issue. She was

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, my name is ***** ***** my wife's 2002 Jeep Liberty has a starting issue. She was out shopping pulled into the parking lot, shut it off, did her shopping and when she came back out it would not turn over. Tried jumping it and that had no effect. All the dash lights come on, the headlights work etc. The battery is less than a year old. Towed it home and spent a day putting in a new starter (crazy, you have to pull the front drive shaft and loosen the left side exhaust to remove the starter, what a pain!!!) So put it all back together, put the key in the ignition and notta, no starter click, no crank, nothing. All the lights on the dash come on....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car has 126000 miles on it, never really had any starting issues before. It was running fine prior to this episode. No starter issues, nothing. Now, turn the key to on, hear the fuel pump run, turn to start and no cranking, the starter does not even click. PCM issue?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am at work (firefighter) and do not have the car here, but yes if I do not get an emergency call I do not mind waiting and I do not mind paying either
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the fuel pump runs when the key is turned on then the PCM is awake. It's not likely to be a PCM issue in this case.

If fuses are good then the first thing I would suspect is a broken ignition switch actuator pin. This goes between the ignition switch and lock cylinder to turn the switch when the key is turned. A piece will break off the engine and prevent the switch from turning fully to the crank position.

The next thing I would recommend is either checking for power on the yellow wire at the ignition switch with the key iin the crank position, or you can remove the switch and inspect the pin to see if it is broken.