gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealership technician
12249065

I have a 1987 jeep wrangler I have owned since new. It lacks

Customer Question

I have a 1987 jeep wrangler I have owned since new. It lacks get up and go. It cranks and idles good. But it has a hard time accelerating when passing traffic
Category: Jeep
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As automatic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- normally you should replace the fluid and filter every 40k miles or so, have you done this recently? When you drop the pan you can inspect for any particles or metal flake, which would indicate whether you have normal wear or a breakdown in the material in the clutches. Does your engine rev without the transmission keeping up, as if it is "slipping"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The transmission does appear to slip.
The filters were replaced recently.But The solenoid idler on the rochester carburetor was replaced and it corrected the idling issue. It Starts up every time but have to pump the accelerator several times to get her running. I did notice it took for ever to get the new fuel filter to allow fuel to pass through.I have not pulled the pan yet but I thought of that.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

what engine do you have? The 4.2?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is 4.2 ....straight 6 cly.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

OK- so no in-tank fuel pump. Have you replaced the fuel filter? There should be a one-way valve in the system to keep it from bleeding all the way back to the tank.

If the transmission filter was replaced, then the pan would have been dropped- you weren't told of any problems at that time? ATF level is OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter was recently replaced.I have not change the transmission filter but levels seem to be good. The color is redish on the stick .Do you think this has anything to do with the carberator. I did remove all the position controls and some unnessary vacum lines. The throat of the carberator black I have sprayed it many times with choke cleaner. It runs good but it is when you punch the accelerator to pass a car it takes awhile.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "unnecessary" vacuum lines? Did you plug off the ports they come from?

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If you removed the WOT throttle sensor, it's not going to know when you are kicking it down to pass

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just swamped right now. sorry to be so rude.