Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ricardo. I have a 2011 jeep grand cherokee overland. I

Customer Question

hi, Ricardo. I have a 2011 jeep grand cherokee overland. I recently had both HID headlamps replaced as they each died one after another. After the dealer replaces with new bulbs, I've noticed that my low beams poorly light the road. my high beams shoot way to left and right. I ppintes my car in front of my garage and the low beam pattern is way out of wack. The self leveling does operate when I start up. I took the car to the dealer recently and they told me that they cannot be adjusted and I likely need to replace the entire system at a cost of around 1,300 US plus labor. Really? I checked the outer lenses and they don't seem very much foggy or dirty. We I look at the inner lenses that cover the low beam bulb, it looks like they may be dirty or foggy? maybe I'm exaggerating that. So, what to do? The kid at the dealer said I could have the outer lenses buffed inside and out by a body shop. That may help. Also curious that if it's just dirty or foggy lenses, why would my high beams be out of wack too. Can they be adjusted? Should and can I access the inside of the lenses and clean them? or am I stuck paying a couple of grand for a totally new system? Thanks in advance for your expertise and advice! Joe
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The head lamps can be aligned.The dealer needs to disable the automatic level feature then align them then turn it back on.If there is any damage to the head lights though the lights will need replaced.They can become dirty inside and out over time and usually require removal of the lense to clean the inside of them.The lense is clipped and glued to the head lamp housing and is best to have done by a repair facility to prevent any damage to the lense.Usually it is only the outside that really needs cleaned for any lighting issues.You can have this done by a detail shop or body shop in some cases for about an hours charge.

Here is the note on aligning the head lights you have and the dealer should be able to do this.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with the optional High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps include an automatic headlamp leveling feature, which uses axle sensor inputs to the Automatic Headlamp Leveling Module (AHLM) to automatically adjust the headlamp level to compensate for changes in vehicle cargo or passenger load. This feature must be disabled in order to successfully perform a manual headlamp alignment. Follow the steps outlined in the diagnostic scan tool under the AHLM Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Actuator menu item for HEADLIGHT LEVELING POSITION. The Actuator must be set to the DELIVERY POSITION during manual headlamp alignment, then returned to HEADLIGHT LEVELING POSITION following completion of the manual adjustment. The DELIVERY POSITION causes the AHLM to ignore axle sensor inputs and maintain base headlamp position while manual adjustments to the headlamp alignment are being made.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete